Travelling overseas in a month or two? Claim your GST refund!

The following is from the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service website, Advice for travellers:

About the Tourist Refund Scheme

The TRS enables you to claim a refund, subject to certain conditions, of the goods and services tax (GST) and wine equalisation tax (WET) that you pay on goods you buy in Australia.

To claim a refund you must:
  • Spend $300 (GST inclusive) or more in the one store and retain your invoices.
  • Have purchased the goods no more than 60 days before your departure from Australia.
  • Wear or carry the goods on board the aircraft or ship and present them along with your original tax invoice, passport and international boarding pass to a Customs and Border Protection Officer at a TRS facility.
The refund only applies to goods you take with you as hand luggage or wear (unless aviation security measures, in regard to liquids, aerosols and gels prevent you from doing so) onto the aircraft or ship when you leave Australia. It does not apply to services or goods consumed or partly consumed in Australia, such as wine, chocolate or perfume. However, unlike other tourist shopping schemes, most of the goods, such as clothing and cameras, can be used in Australia before departure.

The TRS is open to all overseas visitors and Australian residents,
except operating air and sea crew.

More details here:
Advice for travellers.